Wednesday, June 22, 2016

#8 How Will Technology Affect my Future Profession?

    Hopefully, my future as a registered nurse will be long and bright. I see that machines will definitely become more prevalent in the medical field, but I also don't believe human compassion for one another will ever be replaced. However, I know that an open mind and an understanding of the possible future will help me prepare for whatever may come.
    For now, I will stick with the Econ 101 handbook reference by Andrew McAfee in his speech "What will future jobs look like?" at the TED conference, "Encourage entrepreneurship, double down on infrastructure, and make sure we're turning out people from our educational system with the appropriate skills." That being said, the more education that I have, the better my ability will be to work with the more modern medical technology that is sure to arise. Which is why I plan to get my BSN online, as soon as I can after I complete my ASN. I hope to have my MSN within the next decade.
     As I read blogs and articles from current nurses, I see that technology is already affecting them socially. People are tracking them down on Facebook. Prospective employers are searching for their profiles online. Many hospitals participate in patient surveys. Even if a nurse does everything by the book, they may score a low rating if the patient had a bad experience. Fair? It doesn't matter, that is the way of our current future. I will make sure to smile as I furnish the jello and ice chips...
     With every negative prospect, there's sure to be a positive. Many cities are focusing on their critical infrastructures, like hospitals and clinics. As the Baby Boomers head into retirement, and continue to age, more nurses will be needed. Economically, this should be a stable environment for an aspiring caregiver.
     Essentially, I am just a hard working Bill, trying to become a properly educated Ted in the future. I am totally looking forward to my "Excellent Adventure!" (If you haven't seen that movie, it's a good way to waste a Saturday afternoon.)

2 comments:

  1. I love what you said about human compassion can't be replaced. In the world of medicine u feel as though compassion is important. No, I have never seen that movie before-it may have to be something I will have to watch this Saturday!! Have a great Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you have a wonderful day as well!

      Delete