Wednesday, June 15, 2016

#5 My identity as a Millennial

   

   I've never considered myself a Millennial. Then I took the online test to determine "How Millennial Are You" available at www.pewresearch.org/quiz/how-millennial-are-you. I scored a 94. So I took it again. This time I scored an 81. I am a Millennial. This class is changing me, or more appropriately, making me realize things about myself. I began to question myself. Do you read the paper? No, I read stories online. Google even offers me headlines based on my recent searches. Do you call friends and family? No, I prefer texting or Facebook. I know these questions just skim the surface, but I'm starting to see that I may not be too old to fit into this generation after all. I also like the idea of fitting into a group of individuals that is defined by
Jessica Brack & Kip Kelley, UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School - Maximizing Millennials in the Workplace (2012) "Millennials are continuous learners, team players, collaborators, diverse, optimistic, achievement-oriented, socially conscious and highly educated."
      Going back to college, also places me in this category. I want to further my education so that I will be able to provide my family with a stable future. I have a good job now, but I want more. Also, as Tom Allison & Konrad Mugglestone state in - The Future of Millennial Jobs (2015) "Millennials assume that they will never benefit from a pension or social security, leading to aspirations for financial independence through 401(k) or retirement benefits." I need benefits! I also like the idea that the more education I have, the longer I will be capable of working for my own financial security.
      I believe that going into the health care industry is a good choice for me. Beside the fact that I've always felt I could excel as a nurse, it is also a smart business move. According to Konrad Mugglestone & Tom Allison - The Best Jobs for Millennials (2015):

              Among these top occupations, jobs requiring a background in STEM (Science,  Technology,Engineering, and Mathematics) are heavily represented. Indeed, thirteen of the top twenty-five positions are STEM occupations, with another five in health care related fields (often requiring an educational background in the sciences). Together, these eighteen occupations make up almost three quarters of the list – something worth considering for a Millennial who is about to choose her or his college major. The concentration of STEM occupations on this list is unsurprising because the demand for STEM competent employees is growing at far greater rates than overall employment, driving up wages. Furthermore, the health care industry is the only major industry sector employing large numbers of Millennials that has seen its median wages increase in the past decade, which makes its prevalence on the list no surprise.

         I am also soaking up the benefits of being a Millennial in this class. So far, I am loving Google and all it has to offer! I only have one other class to compare to, currently, but I'm starting to wish that my other professor utilized the same types of technology. I know I have much more to learn, and research to search through, but the more that I learn, the more confident I become.

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful post that thoroughly examines and extends the readings in the class. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete