Wednesday, July 20, 2016

#20 Millennials in the Work Place

     I have learned quite a bit about the millennial generation over the last few weeks. For one thing, I never realized how many millennials were affected by the Great Recession. Konrad and Mugglestone report in The Future of Millennial Jobs, "One out of every four employed 18 to 34-year-olds is working only a part-time position, as opposed to one in six adults over 34 years old. Furthermore, employers have shifted towards hiring more part-time and temporary workers in lieu of investing in full-time employees" (5). I thank my lucky stars that I have been fortunate enough to have had steady employment throughout the last decade.
     I have often been called a workaholic by family members, so it did not surprise me to see Konrad and Mugglestone stating that, "millennial workers appreciate a healthy work-life balance, often over increased compensation and faster advancement" (10). I believe the millennial generation has been witness to over-worked, under-appreciated parents and seek a different lifestyle for themselves. Of course, I seek the same for myself in the future...


Works Cited

Allison, Tom and Konrad Mugglestone. “The Future of Millennial Jobs.” Young Invincibles. 20 January 2015. P.13. web. <http://younginvincibles.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/FUTURE-OF-MILLENNIAL-JOBS-1.20.2015.pdf>

No comments:

Post a Comment