Should Britain's millennials be angry about the vote to leave the European Union? I have read several articles that debate both sides. I have come to this conclusion: Britain's millennials have no one to blame but themselves. As Indira Lakshmanan says in the article Millennials, Brexit is your wakeup call, "The margin between Leave and Remain was 1.27 million votes, and if all
13 million British millennials voted, they could have changed the
outcome." If you don't show up and actively vote, you are to blame.
Had I been a Remain voting millennial in the United Kingdom on the day of the Brexit, I would have been upset and scared. As Ivana Kottasova wrote in British Millennials: You've Stolen our Future, "Many younger voters are worried the referendum could have the same
impact as the last crisis. The gloomiest forecasts said Brexit could
cost the country up to 820,000 jobs, and some youngsters are worried
they'll be the most impacted group." I would have also been very angry with anyone who had expressed the desire to vote Remain, yet had not actually gone out and voted.
A lot of younger people claimed that they did not understand the referendum, and therefore chose to let the majority decide. I live in the United states. I found articles online that dated back to last year, discussing the pro's and cons of the UK leaving the European Union. Education is but an answer away, you must first ask the question.
Unfortunately, this generation does not show to value their right to vote as much as past generations have. If you have ever said that you have the "right" to something, remember that there was more than likely a vote taken to grant you that right. Women in the United States were given the right to vote in 1920, and it was not a unanimous vote to allow that to happen. An idea can be right or wrong, but because we have the freedom of democracy, the masses will declare if it becomes written into law.
I believe that our society is to blame for this lack of involvement. I have never heard someone say, " I can't wait until I'm old enough to vote!" However, I have overheard, "I'm almost 21, I will be allowed to drink legally!" As parents, teachers, preachers, and civic minded members of the community, we need to encourage millennials in America to make informed decisions, and to vote in every election.
No comments:
Post a Comment