Monday, July 18, 2016

#19 Did I choose the right career?

      I believe that I have made a good choice for my major and future career as a registered nurse. If I wasn't sure before this coarse, I am now! In the Occupational Outlook Handbook, issued by the Bureau of Labor and Statistics it is stated that, "Employment of registered nurses is projected to grow 16 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations." This makes me confident that there will be jobs available in my field upon graduation. The handbook also states, "Registered nurses are the largest healthcare occupation. They work in hospitals, physicians’ offices, home healthcare services, and nursing care facilities. Others work in schools or outpatient clinics, or serve in the military. Home health and public health nurses travel to patients’ homes, schools, community centers, and other sites." So, I know that I can find a job in an environment that suits my, and my family's needs. Even if I were to remain at a hospital, there are several departments to work in. For instance, there are: labor and delivery, emergency department, medical/surgical, and cardiovascular just to name a few.
       I also know that there is room to grow in this field. After I get my associates degree, a bachelor's degree is just 9 months of on-line classes away. I can continue my education, and proceed all the was up to the level of a master's degree and become a nurse practitioner, which has a median wage of $104,740 annually, according to the BLS. However, should I choose to put that on hold, I can always become a travel nurse after working for a few years in a hospital setting, and explore the country.
      As I sit here and continue to dream of my future, and all the good things to come, I have one question for myself. Why haven't I returned to school sooner?




Works Cited


Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, “Occupational Outlook Handbook,” 2016-17 Edition, Registered Nurses,
    on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/registered-nurses.htm (visited July 12, 2016).

1 comment:

  1. You learned lots of fine stuff, here, and I hope that you continue writing this blog. You write well.

    ReplyDelete